Hudson Fire Update: Cigarette Likely Culprit
Fire officials believe a cigarette is responsible for a fire that gutted a two-family home early Thursday morning.
An early morning fire that destroyed a two-family home on Hudson Avenue was likely caused by a cigarette and has been deemed an accident, Red Bank fire marshal Stanley Sickles said.
A fire broke out at 46-48 Hudson Ave. at about 3:20 a.m. Thursday morning. Every Red Bank Volunteer Fire Department company responded to the blaze and, with an assist from a Middletown Fire Department ladder truck, were able to have it under control by about 5:30 a.m., Red Bank Fire Chief Josh Sanders reported.
Fair Haven provided fire assist to the borough during the blaze.
Sickles said the fire began in the back corner of 46 Hudson, its origin under the deck or on the deck itself. Residents reported smoking out on the back deck as late as 2 a.m. After going to bed, the residents were alerted to the fire by a smoke alarm going off on the first floor of the house.
When they went downstairs to investigate, fighting a thick smoke along the way, the found that the fire had quickly spread from the deck to the kitchen.
"It's clear that the smoke alarm saved their lives," Sickles said.
Both homes were occupied at the time of the fire. The home's residents were able to make it out without injury. No fire fighters were injured in fighting the fire.
By late Thursday morning crews had left the scene, leaving only some caution tape and the burned out building. The fire spread throughout both sides of the home through much of the first and second floors, as well as significant portions of the roof.