Lucas, 36, was arrested as a result of an 11-count indictment charging him with wire fraud, illegal monetary transaction, loan application fraud, false statements to the IRS, aggravated identity theft, obstruction of a grand jury investigation and falsification of records in a federal investigation.
Lucas allegedly provided falsified versions of his 2007 and 2008 tax returns in a loan application to a New Jersey bank in which he requested $525,000 to finance his purchase of the property. He is also accused of falsely reporting that he had $210,000 in cash.
The U.S. Attorney's Office said Lucas, who owned and operated Lucas Capital, approached a client to pitch an investment in an entity called VLM Investments in order to obtain the $250,000 down payment for the property from that person.
On Feb. 15, 2010, Lucas presented a written note to the client stating that the $250,000 investment would be used for equipment and inventory for VLM. However, Lucas allegedly did not inform the client that, at the time the note was signed, VLM did not exist or that he intended to make personal use of the funds.
On Feb. 18, 2010, Lucas created VLM by registering it with the state and the IRS, allegedly using the name and Social Security number of an out-of-state relative without that person's knowledge or permission.
Federal investigators served Lucas with subpoenas on Friday for the records of VLM and Lucas Capital Advisors. In response, Lucas allegedly provided federal authorities with a fabricated and back-dated letter purporting to be from the relative concerning a transaction for the purchase of the Burke Farm property.
Lucas was scheduled to appear in court Friday.
Earlier Patch coverage of Burke Farm land deal
- Oct. 8, 2013: Manalapan Committeeman Andrew Lucas Resigns
- August 16, 2013: Burke Farm Deal Complaint Can Move Forward, Judge Rules
- March 21, 2013: Monmouth County Freeholders Approve Preservation of Lucas' Farm
- Feb. 23, 2013: Manalapan Approves Burke Farm Payment to Monmouth County
- Feb. 16, 2013: Manalapan Postpones Burke Farm Payment to Monmouth County
- Sept. 23, 2011: SADC Defers Decision on Mayor's Farm Deal
- Sept. 22, 2011: Mayor Lucas May Receive $1.15M to Preserve Farm
- July 1, 2011: Freeholders Heatedly Debate Lucas' Farmland Acquisition
- June 6, 2011: County Approves Lucas Farmland Preservation
- May 28, 2011: APP.com Reports DEP is Investigating Illegal Filing of Mayor Lucas' Farm
- Feb. 25, 2011: Roth to Mayor Lucas: "You Violated the Public Trust" In Land Deal
This is a developing storyline. Patch will have more information as it becomes available.